Get Adobe Flash player

Legislative

Legislative Update - February 2017

Brushfires of Freedom

Most motorcyclists like beer. One of my favorites is Sam Adams Boston Lager. The brand name was chosen in honor of Founding Father Samuel Adams, an American revolutionary who co-inspired and later publicized the Boston Tea Party and also a second cousin to president John Adams. He helped fan the grassroots movement that became the American Revolution for Independence.

“It does not take a majority to prevail … but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I have a tendency to study our Founding Fathers and the historical events that shaped our country. I like looking behind the quotes to see the person saying the words and maybe get a glimpse of why it was said. It’s all in context right?

THE IRATE, TIRELESS MINORITY

Adams was a thorn in the side of those British in power in the Boston area. He pushed the envelope on freedoms like so many others in that time did. The 3% is what they were called. That irate and tireless minority that made the difference for millions. It has been said that only 3% of the population of the colonies actively participated in the American Revolution. That number amazes me to think that 97% of the people gained freedom of the sacrifices of the other 3%. It is still the same I guess. Those who sit back and enjoy the spoils that the tireless minority fight for. I like to call it the “Gimme Gimme my name is Jimmy” mentality. Today it is called the “entitlement” mindset that seems so many have. When will the irate and tireless minority set a big enough brush fire that the majority will take hold of it?

BRUSHFIRES OF FREEDOM

One thing about brush fires is that they spread quickly and can be devastating. The only thing that is needed to start one is a small spark. Remember the Smokey the Bear advertisement? “Only you can prevent forest fires”. Let me tell you that “Even YOU can start a brush fire for freedom”! A brush fire can change the landscape permanently. The brush fires of freedom have changed the world for the betterment of mankind.

FAN THE FLAMES OF FREEDOM

The spark has been there. ABATE started in California in the early 70’s. Forty-plus years later it is a stronger and more powerful organization for the freedom of motorcyclists around the country. The fight for motorcyclist rights have fueled the fire for organizations like the Motorcycle Profiling Project in Washington. The Motorcycle Rights Foundation is on the forefront in DC to fight for our rights on Capitol Hill. Keep the flame burning.

Here in Arizona we hear about grass fires every year. Motorcycle rights is a grassroots movement. Let the freedom to choose and the freedom to ride spread like a wildfire.

I will leave you with a quote from Thomas Jefferson:
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”

Mike Infanzon
State Designated Lobbyist, ABATE of Arizona

Loading Report...